Do you have an idea for reducing waste in your neighborhood, workplace, school, your favorite park or restaurant, or any other community space, but aren’t sure how to get started?
We would love to help get your idea off the ground with $500 – $2,000 in project funds.
- Do you have a drinking station, but no way to safely wash cups? Perhaps you could apply to use the money for a dishwasher? Or get creative and make an outdoor dishwashing station like we have in the Kansas Avenue Learning Garden?
- Do you see a lot of wasted food that could be avoided with a tumbling composter for your business?
- Do you see a lot of TRASH being put into the RECYCLING and vice versa? Apply for some good quality signage to help people know what goes where.
Help us spread the word among the community or fill out an application for your own project idea today! Applications are due May 30th by 5pm.
- Individuals, businesses, and community organizations in Deschutes County or a project that largely impacts Deschutes County and/or its residents.
- Projects to be implemented by December 30th, 2022.
- The application is complete, submitted, and all questions are answered completely. Please submit an application online through Google Forms, if possible. See Application Materials below for links in English and in Spanish.
- Alternatively, the application is submitted via the Community Innovation Fund Guidelines document, or these questions are captured via video/audio, and emailed to with “2022 Rethink Waste Community Innovation Fund” in the subject line.
- If you would like a printed copy of the application to pick up/drop off at The Environmental Center, please contact Udara to let her know.
- Google Forms application (English)
- Google Forms application (Español)
- Community Innovation Fund Guidelines document (English)
- Community Innovation Fund Guidelines document (Español)
- Applications Due: Monday, May 30, 2022 by 5:00PM
- Fund Recipients Announced: Monday June 6, 2022 (funded work may begin once awards are announced)
- Progress Report Due: Monday, July 25, 2022
- Work Completed by: Friday, December 30, 2022
- Final Report Due: Monday, January 30, 2023
Ideas of What Can Be Funded:
- Materials or infrastructure needed for waste reduction
- Incentive prizes for community members for participation in waste reduction program
- Reusable dishware to reduce waste at staff events
- Compost tumblers or equipment to support food waste reduction
- 2019-2020 Projects here