Did you know that Oregon Has one of the best EV incentives in the country? The Oregon Clean Energy Rebate Program offers Oregon residents a rebate of up to $2,500, when paired with the $7,500 Federal tax credit drivers can save $10,000 off a new electric car.
In addition to the standard rebate there is an extra rebate available for Low to Moderate Income drivers called the Charge Ahead Program that offers up to $2,500 off a new or used electric car!
You want to make sure you know what is available and what qualifies before you start shopping.
What Cars Qualify?
Some of these requirements are a little wonky but there is a list of eligible cars and the rebate they qualify for that can be found here.
A qualifying vehicle for the new Oregon rebate must:
- Have a base manufacturer’s suggested retail price of less than $50,000 (This includes Tesla Model 3s because the base is $35k)
- Be covered by a manufacturer’s express warranty on the vehicle drive train, including the battery pack, for at least 24 months from the date of purchase
- Be either a battery electric vehicle OR a plug-in hybrid vehicle that has at least 10 miles of EPA-rated all-electric range and warranty of at least 15 years and 150,000 miles on emission control components.
- $2,500 goes to vehicles with battery capacities above 10 kWh.
- $1,500 goes to vehicles with a battery capacity of 10 kWh or less.
- Be a new vehicle, or used only as a dealership floor model or test-drive vehicle
- The rebate will apply to new electric vehicles that are purchased or leased, with a minimum 24-month lease term.
How does the state rebate work?
- You have to apply for your rebate within 6 months of your purchase.
- You can find your application forms here.
- The rebate will be returned to you as a check not a tax credit which means you don’t have to wait till tax return season and it is available even if you don’t have a large enough tax liability in Oregon.
Income qualified additional incentive.
The Charge Ahead incentive is available for low and Moderate income households and offers a $2,500 rebate for the purchase of a new or used fully electric car. This can be used in addition to the standard rebate which would add up to $5,000 from the state! This program will help bring the benefits of electric vehicles to many more Oregonians.
- Be a low or moderate income household. (For Deschutes county this is $83,500 for a family of 4)
- Be an Oregon resident (with a valid ID)
- Purchase or lease a new or used plug in hybrid or battery electric vehicle from a dealer (no person-to-person sales or plug in hybrids)
- Only vehicles purchased or leased after January 1, 2018 are eligible * Plug in hybrids purchased after 9/29/19 will also qualify for charge ahead*
- Register the car in Oregon, and retain registration for at least 24 months
- Provide documentation showing proof of income eligibility
- Submit your application within 6 months after the purchase or lease date
The state is working hard on making this a sustainable process for many years to come. Charge Ahead rebates should start being issued in Q1 2020.