Did you know that Oregon Has one of the best EV incentives in the country? The Oregon Clean Energy Rebate Program offers Oregon residents a rebate of up to $2,500, when paired with the $7,500 Federal tax credit drivers can save $10,000 off a new electric car.
In addition to the standard rebate there is an extra rebate available for Low to Moderate Income drivers called the Charge Ahead Program that offers up to $2,500 off a new or used electric car!
You want to make sure you know what is available and what qualifies before you start shopping.
What Cars Qualify?
Some of these requirements are a little wonky but there is a list of eligible cars and the rebate they qualify for that can be found here.
A qualifying vehicle for the new Oregon rebate must:
- Have a base manufacturer’s suggested retail price of less than $50,000 (This includes Tesla Model 3s because the base is $35k)
- Be covered by a manufacturer’s express warranty on the vehicle drive train, including the battery pack, for at least 24 months from the date of purchase
- Be either a battery electric vehicle OR a plug-in hybrid vehicle that has at least 10 miles of EPA-rated all-electric range and warranty of at least 15 years and 150,000 miles on emission control components.
- $2,500 goes to vehicles with battery capacities above 10 kWh.
- $1,500 goes to vehicles with a battery capacity of 10 kWh or less.
- Be a new vehicle, or used only as a dealership floor model or test-drive vehicle
- The rebate will apply to new electric vehicles that are purchased or leased, with a minimum 24-month lease term.
How does the state rebate work?
- You have to apply for your rebate within 6 months of your purchase.
- You can find your application forms here.
- The rebate will be returned to you as a check not a tax credit which means you don’t have to wait till tax return season and it is available even if you don’t have a large enough tax liability in Oregon.
Income qualified additional incentive.
The Charge Ahead incentive is available for low and Moderate income households and offers a $2,500 rebate for the purchase of a new or used fully electric car. This can be used in addition to the standard rebate which would add up to $5,000 from the state! This program will help bring the benefits of electric vehicles to many more Oregonians.
- Be a low or moderate income household. (For Deschutes county this is $83,500 for a family of 4)
- Be an Oregon resident (with a valid ID)
- Purchase or lease a new or used battery electric vehicle from a dealer (no person-to-person sales or plug in hybrids)
- Only vehicles purchased or leased after January 1, 2018 are eligible
- Register the car in Oregon, and retain registration for at least 24 months
- Provide documentation showing proof of income eligibility
- Submit your application within 6 months after the purchase or lease date
The state is working hard on making this a sustainable process for many years to come. The first standard incentives should be mailed in January of 2019 and Charge Ahead rebates should be mailed in June of 2019.
As with all EV questions please reach out to Neil@EnviroCenter.org for more details.