Position available: Membership & Outreach Manager
Desired start date: Approximately January 6, 2020
Location: 16 NW Kansas Ave. Bend, OR
Please submit applications by: November 1, 2019
About Us: The Environmental Center (TEC) is a regional hub of environmental education, engagement, and action. With support from our communities, we work to advance a healthy, vibrant place to live, work and play – for all of us today and for future generations to inherit. Our mission is to embed sustainability into daily life in Central Oregon; and we believe local action can make a world of difference. Learn more at envirocenter.org.
The TEC team is committed to the personal and organizational work required to achieve equitable solutions to local and global sustainability challenges. We have developed an action plan in order to prioritize diversity, inclusion, and equity in our organization; in the partnerships we build; in the services we deliver; and in the outcomes we seek to achieve. Local consultants and experts are supporting us along the way, and we’re seeking a candidate who is willing to grow with us and contribute throughout this process.
Summary of Position: The Membership and Outreach Manager supports achievement of TEC’s strategic goals related to growing its membership (donor base) and strengthening community engagement in programs and events across Central Oregon.
This is a full-time, 40 hours/week position. The work schedule will generally be 9 to 5 with some flexibility. Evening and weekend work will be required. We are open to discussing this position as part-time remote (within Central Oregon) so that long commutes are not a barrier.
This position reports to the Communications and Operations Director and collaborates with the Development Manager. This position recruits and supervises volunteers.
Events and Outreach (45%)
Collaborate with the Communications and Operations Director in planning and implementing several events. Specifics include:
- Manage volunteers and support logistics for TEC-hosted events, i.e. Earth Day Fair & Parade (annual in April), Mountainfilm on Tour (annual in February), Sustainability Awards (bi-annual in November)
- Coordinate and represent TEC at community outreach/fundraising events, i.e. Whole Foods 5% Day, Deschutes Brewery’s Community Pint Nights Organize and staff Green Drinks, a bi-monthly networking event series
- Support program staff in delivering program-specific events. i.e. Green Tour, Power Hours, and Repair Cafes
- Add TEC events to community/media calendars and distribute event posters This role also supports other communications functions within the organization, i.e. minor website updates, content creation, and social media posts.
Collaborate with TEC’s staff development team (Executive Director, Communications and Operations Director and Development Manager) to plan and implement the organization’s annual fundraising plan, with a primary focus on activities that support membership level giving (total gifts less than $500/year). Specifics include:
- Produce and send monthly renewal requests and thank-you letters
- Make reminder and thank-you phone calls to members
- Ongoing membership data entry in Salesforce database
- Lead TEC’s annual online special appeal, which asks for a special gift from current donors and recruits new donors to TEC
- Lead TEC’s annual year-end membership appeal (November/December, snail mail and online)
- Help to plan and execute the annual member luncheon (July/August) and Donor VIP party (late November/early December)
- Work with the Development Manager to identify prospects for increased giving above the $500/year level
- Support other staff to ensure giving opportunities are integrated into TEC events
- Special projects, as assigned by supervisor
- Develop an annual work plan that includes clear projected results that are consistent with TEC’s strategic plan
- Participate in monthly check-ins and an annual review with your supervisor
- Answer community inquiries and provide accurate information about TEC and sustainability in Central Oregon
- Provide vacation coverage, as needed Complete timekeeping and other reporting requirements
WE ARE LOOKING FOR…
- A commitment to TEC’s mission
- Someone who welcomes and values diversity, and will participate in the process of building a more inclusive organization
- Bilingual-bicultural candidates are highly encouraged to apply
- Creative and innovative thinking that can help all individuals to fully participate in our mission
- Communication skills that foster collaboration with staff, Board of Directors, partners, and volunteers to achieve strategic goals, while building trust across diverse communities
- Ability to be organized, productive, and detail-oriented in a fast-paced, busy, open office
- Competent using technology and online tools/apps, and a commitment to learn the tools we use
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to manage event logistics, timelines, and volunteer schedules
- Ability to staff events and engage community members; and with support as needed, the ability to set up for events, which includes transporting and carrying outreach materials
WE CAN OFFER…
This is a non-exempt, full-time, hourly position. The wage range is $16 to $22 per hour, depending upon experience. Bilingual-bicultural candidates will be compensated 15% above the standard wage. Benefits include a group medical and dental insurance policy (TEC pays 85% of the premium); access to a SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with employer match up to 3% of the employee’s annual gross income; and a generous paid holiday and personal-paid-time-off policy. Our team is comprised of 13 staff and 14 volunteer Directors.
We offer a flexible workplace environment with a casual dress code. New employees will receive training and support during the onboarding process. TEC collectively values a healthy environment and a connection to the natural world – and we respect that each person on our team contributes to a sustainable community by doing what works for them and what is meaningful to them. This looks different for everyone. We value and support continuous learning and growth, and invest in leadership and development opportunities for staff in ways that will help them succeed.
To apply: Please mail or e-mail a cover letter describing why you are interested in and qualified for the position, a resume, and three references to:
The Environmental Center, Attn: Lauren Williams
16 NW Kansas Ave, Bend, OR 97703
TEC is committed to equal employment opportunities. We make our employment decisions based on organizational needs and individual qualifications; not on race, color, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or belief, national origin, or physical/mental disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com or call us at (541) 385-6908.